In 2013, I documented using Ali Edward’s Day in the Life concept monthly and it was one of my favorite projects ever. For the third year, I’m repeating the project. On the 4th of each month, I’m going to document my everyday life. I like having a set day because I won’t worry about finding a “representative” or “normal” day. Wherever the 4th falls, that’s what I’ll document. (In 2013 I documented the last day of the month, in 2014 I documented the 15th. This year, I let a random number generator decide.)

Here’s Thursday, June 4:


*I omitted several photos of our foster baby for this post.

This was the second day of Eliza’s brief Summer vacation before Summer camp / school starts, and we decided to take it easy since we were constantly on the go the day before. Eliza slept in while I fed Jonas and the baby. I played with the baby and cleaned a bit in the morning; Jonas played with Legos until his morning nap. Eliza woke up slow and grouchy, as she does.

While the baby took her morning nap, the kids worked on cleaning their rooms (you can tell that Jonas’s friends were over, because he’s usually pretty tidy). I worked on cleaning the basement a little, then worked a bit on editing posts and creating Pocket Your Year content. Poppy (my grandpa) popped in, and we sat and chatted. Eliza tried to get Jonas to show him the letters she’s been teaching him to draw.

We had pork dumplings for lunch because Eliza LOVES them and I try to have them for days Eliza is home to help make it special. The kids played video games for a bit, but mostly they were banished to their rooms to clean.

I washed and folded 5 loads of laundry throughout the day, but 2 of them were blankets, so it’s less work than it sounds like.

All three kids took a bath together in the afternoon, which was more of a rainy day we-wish-we-were-at-the-pool play session with a side of getting clean. They also spent a lot of time watching our new little hermit crab, Hannah.

I made Caribbean Jerk wraps for dinner. The kids played with toys, made a mess generally, and watched Charmed (Eliza is obsessed).

Our friend Virgil came over for dinner and to cut Jake’s hair, so he’ll look spiffy for a big tech talk he has coming up. Virgil had a career change, so we’re thankful he was willing to help Jake out.

Eliza, the baby, and I ran out to buy an awesome aquarium set up for our betta fish in a fantastic Craigslist deal. When we got back, we got the kids in bed and talked with Virgil until eleven or midnight or so.

Last, Jake and I spent some alone time together before snuggling up to go to sleep.