Class Auction Quilt | The Nerd Nest 1

Every year, each class in Eliza’s school creates a craft project to sell at an auction as part of the school’s biggest fundraiser of the year. Last year, I did my part making a French Monument Bean Bag Toss game. This year, I was in charge of the whole class project!

When I was brainstorming ideas for a project to make, I tried to think of things that all 22 kids could contribute to that wasn’t a big piece of art. The only functional thing I could think of was a quilt, so I enlisted my mom’s help and got the kids to paint fabric squares!

Just so we’re all clear: this project is 40% the kids, 50% my mom, and 10% me.

Class Auction Quilt | The Nerd Nest 2

First step was the fabric squares. I cut down white quilting muslin to 12×12 squares (making sure to bring a few extra) for each child to paint with black matte fabric paint. I decided that going monochromatic minimized the risk of a big brown mess and would also help the quilt to look more modern.

I taped off the first couple of squares with one and a quarter inch painter’s tape so that each square would have a white border and so we’d have room to sew. Rather than use rolls and rolls of tape, I removed the tape from painted squares and used it to prep the next batch while the kids were painting.

I had the kids paint on a trash bag covered table 4 at a time and gave them lots of different paint brush sizes and complete creative freedom.

I brought parchment paper to separate each square so I could take them home to dry rather than leaving them out at the school.

I love how creative the kids got with the squares! Animal themes were popular, but there are also cool patterns, a black hole, and the grim reaper.

Class Auction Quilt | The Nerd Nest 3

I can sew a straight line, but I’ve only made one quilt and my mom helped me every step of the way with it. My mom is an expert quilter, so I had her hold my hand again. She picked the best pattern for the squares, told me how much fabric to buy, and cut down all of the black fabric.

I started out doing all of the sewing, but when it came time to put the rows together and nothing was lining up because my seam allowances weren’t consistent, she took over while I spent some time with the seam ripper of shame. (Hah!)

She also added the borders, the batting, the backing, and the binding. And quilted it. AND she whipped up a pillowcase in a flash for the extra fabric square. So you can see how giving myself 10% of this project was maybe a little too generous. My mom totally rocks.

Class Auction Quilt | The Nerd Nest 4

Class Auction Quilt | The Nerd Nest 5

The resulting quilt is gorgeous and these indoor photos I snapped in a flash before I turned it in don’t do it justice at all. Hopefully the bidders feel the same way! I’m so proud of the amazing work the kids did and so very thankful that my mom could make my idea a reality (because no one is going to throw Benjamins at the wonky quilt I’d have sewn if left to my own devices).


This year it’s my goal to complete 52 Projects. Projects can be art, crafts, home improvement, tech, gardening, or whatever else my brain might venture into. They might be collaborative or independent. The point is to MAKE. I’m numbering projects in the order I’m sharing them rather than the order that they were made so things will be simpler. This is project 1 of 52!