There haven’t been many changes to Eliza’s room since we shuffled things around in 2012 (except that you haven’t been able to see 100% of the floor since the day I took those pictures–hah!). This Spring, I want to bring the age level up a bit in there for her and help her make it fit her current interests and activities better. So, basically, we’re going for science + art.
Eliza collects rocks and likes to learn about crystal formations, so when I saw this geode string art on Vintage Revivals I knew I had a good jumping off point for the first new art to go in Eliza’s room. She’ll probably want to make most everything else, but I want her to have one cool from-mom thing in there.
Instead of sewing a geode directly onto paper, I decided to combine the idea with this nail string art tutorial that’s been sitting in my Pinboards for who knows how long. I googled images of crystals and geodes and settled on this crystal image from WikiHow. I was planning on drawing my own, but then decided to just print the image from the “how to draw a crystal” page. It’s sort of cheating, but hey, I only have so much crafting time to work with.
I love that I had all of the supplies, save the $1.50 nails, for this project on hand already. Not pictured but something I found to be absolutely necessary about halfway through: my favorite tweezers. They helped me to hold nails in place when things got to tight for my fingers. Also needed: scissors.
The only step I really switched up from the tutorial was the tracing the design onto the surface step. Instead, I kept the image on the paper and nailed through the paper onto the wood. It would have been a million times smarter to use regular paper instead of cardstock, which was just what happened to be in my paper tray, but I didn’t think that far ahead.
Wrapping the embroidery floss around the nails was actually really fun. It was like a mind game to figure out how to get all of the lines covered. I’d love to do a bigger version. Jake was watching me do it, and now he wants to make one too. I don’t know what we’d do with three pieces of string art, but sometimes things are more about the process. That’s just fine.
The part that took the longest was actually removing the paper from underneath the nails. I imagined just ripping it off, but–Ooops!–that would have taken the nails with it. So I had to carefully cut it out from underneath the strings.
I think this turned out great and I can’t wait to fit it into Eliza’s room. More nerdy art to come, I’m sure.
This year it’s my goal to complete 52 projects; an average of 1 a week. Projects can be art, crafts, home improvement, tech, gardening, or whatever else my brain ventures into. The point is to MAKE. This is project 8 of 52! Check out the other projects: 1 : Script Art, 2: Striped Scarf, 3: Pillow Covers, 4: Eliza’s Doctor Who Valentines, 5: DIY Periodic Table Mirrors, 6: Band Pin Display, and 7: French Monuments with Eliza’s Class.