Sometimes you just need a hearty meat and potatoes kind of a meal. When we get in those moods, one of our favorite things to eat is Italian sausage with potatoes and bell peppers. Most of the time for “What’s for Dinner” we share our new try of the week, but this one’s an oldie but goodie.
5 medium sized potatoes, washed and thinly sliced into discs
1 lb Italian sausage (we like Johnsonville Mild Sausage Links)
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced julien
1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced julien
1 package Italian dressing mix (we like Good Seasons)
1/4 cup vinegar
3 tbsp water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat your broiler while you prep your veggies.
2. Spread the sliced potatoes out in a foil lined 9 x 13 pan; broil for 25 mins 7-9 inches below the heat.
3. Mix the vinegar, water, vegetable oil, and dressing mix in a small bowl.
4. Remove the potatoes from the oven. Add bell peppers, sausage, and marinade. Mix. Place under broiler.
5. Broil 16-20 minutes, turning the sausage every 4-5 minutes. Sausage should be golden brown.
6. Make sure your potatoes are soft and thoroughly cooked before eating. If the sausage is done before the potatoes, remove the sausage and continue to broil the potatoes until they are throughout cooked.
7. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving. Salt and pepper to taste.
-If you don’t want to use an Italian dressing mix, you can just use a pre-made bottle of your favorite Italian vinaigrette dressing. This option is more time consuming.
-You can also prepare this recipe on the grill by wrapping the veggies and dressing in an aluminum foil packet.
-Make sure your potatoes are cut to the same thickness so they will cook evenly.
Have a recipe you think we’ll love? Send it to us through the contact page with your name and blog url (if you have one) and we might feature your recipe on the next “What’s for Dinner”!”